Sunday, November 27, 2011

My favorite Race

The Deseret News 10K - Awesome!!  I did this race last year (my first official 10K race) and fell in love.  The course is really nice, there are tons of people (if you are the kind of runner that maybe sometimes gets lost......) and the last 2 miles (I think) are along the parade route so it is an extra boost of motivation and really makes you feel like "yeah thats right, I am doing this!"
This year I signed up with a bunch of people that are on the Ragnar team.  (coming in October!) It really made me laugh when me, Lisa and Dave were walking together to the start line and April turned to Brent and said "those 3 will make up 90% of the volume in our Ragnar van" HA! (and pretty accurate...) 
The starting line always makes me laugh because you have so many different kinds of people.  There are the runners that need to "warm up" by running a few miles before they start (this will never make sense to me) the runners that are VERY nervous (and probably first time racers, I know, I've been there) the majority of people are sitting around talking waiting for everything to start (this is me and my friends typically) but I swear EVERY race I have ever done there is someone in typical street clothes.  I am talking jeans and a regular shirt, umm what??? why?  They have a bib number, they signed up, what the what???
We were finally ready to start and the large group of people were making their way through the starting gate.  The "announcer" kept saying "please be careful, the mat has been flipped up, proceed with caution" and he would say it over and over.  I kept thinking - great! I am going to fall because that is what I do.  As we approached I was so focused on my feet that it wasn't until I was clear of the mat that I realized someone had fallen - I turned to make sure they were OK and saw that it was Lisa! April and I turned around to check on her - there was blood coming from her knees and it looked pretty painful.  We went over to the side where she was sitting and she looked at us like we were crazy - go! she said, you're wasting time!  Oh Lisa, you kill me!  There wasn't anything we could do to help so we started our race.
My goal was to finish in under and hour which I did (just barely, but I'll take it) and like I said this is the best race every - I will do it EVERY year.  If you have ever wanted to do a 10K this is a great one!
When I crossed the finish line I found Dave and then we found April.  We were all wondering where Lisa was and how she was doing.  We found her sitting with her parents, but she was red faced and sweaty - did she run???  She told us that she was sitting there and said to herself "this is dumb, I am fine and wasting time" so she got up and did the race - oh and BTW she finished before me and April!!  She is AMAZING!

Here we are at the finish - (Add Angi and Matt and you have Van 1 of our Ragnar team)  Everyone start training so you can do this race in 2012 with me :)

0 comments: