Monday, July 14, 2008

Movie Review Monday!

Let me start off by saying that I was DETERMINED to make Wall-E this week's review. Mike does not want to see it, and he was out of town fishing. Perfect - right? Well it turns out that I am one of those people that has never gone to a movie theater alone. (are you like that too??) so I made a game plan. I would pick a theater that had reserved seating (so I could sit where I wanted with no problems) then I would show up right at start time (I am not going to lie - this is so I could sit down and the lights would dim before anyone could see I was alone!!) Because let's be honest - how many of you have ever gone to a movie and there is someone there alone? Yeah, most of us. I have never thought "What a loser" or "How come they don't have any friends or family" Seriously, I have never thought that!! So Why couldn't I follow through with my plan? Turns out I care about what people think more then I thought . . . . . . .this is something for me to ponder . . . . .

Moving on to this week's actual review.

THERE WILL BE BLOOD - directed by Paul Thomas Anderson and based on a book written in 1927 called "OIL!!" Once again - even though I am late to the game and should have seen this movie long ago, Here is the preview for you to enjoy.



I am not going to kid myself. I know that many (and by that I mean most) of you will not ever see this movie. For a lot of different reasons. I completely understand that, but must say . . . What a tragedy!! This movie is so great and so deserving of the many nominations that it received. Mike would describe this as "one of my weird movies" and he is probably a little correct. Paul Thomas Anderson has a very unique style and some people hate it. Some of his other movies are "Magnolia", "Punch Drunk Love", and "Boogie Nights" to give you an idea.

One of my favorite things about this movie is that I could have watched it with the MUTE on and still loved it. The cinematography is outstanding and I found myself amazed with the way this movie was shot. Not only the beauty of the scenery, but the way the director choose his angles and how we as the audience got to expierence the story. FANTASTIC.

Another thing that is a very gutsy (and rewarding) choice is that the first 5 - 10 minutes is dialog free, but tells you so much about who this man is and how he came to be, what he believes, and even how his family was formed. That is incredible story telling. It reminded me of the very powerful scenes in "Cast Away" when Tom Hanks was saying nothing, but you felt every emotion right along with him.

This is a story that covers a huge range of human behavior and emotion. I loved the journey and can't wait to sit down to watch it again. I always find it facinating to watch movies again and see how your eye and your brain pick things up in a very enjoyable and different way.

6 comments:

#1 Brooke said...

Are you saying I'm a loser?!?! I'm hurt! I've gone to numerous movies (and seriously at least 5) by myself. And I don't sneak in when the lights are all dim. Walk in proudly with your head held high! You are only a loser if you believe you are a loser. I believe in your Keri!! :-)

Keith and Allie said...

You should talk to Keith...he's gone to several movies alone because I won't go with him. And actually that does make him a loser!! You really should see Wall-E though it was adorable! Wait I know...take Remi with!

Ritch in Love said...

Keri?! Woah. Tonight after searching through some digiscrap blogs for ideas I found a link (Heather) to your blog.
What a small world! You look darling! You and your husband look really happy. And I LOVE that you are a Cowboys fan! (My husband is from Dallas) Either way I wanted to say hi! Your family looks great, by the way! Come to my blog for a visit any time!

Hendricksonblog said...

Okay so dont anyone shoot me for this but Keri, I hated Wall-E........
Okay hate is a strong word but it was by far my least favorite pixar flick.......you'll have to tell me what you think. Dave says Batman was awesome......the best he's ever seen.

Mama H. said...

If we could find a time to work, I'd love to see Wall-e. It's probably worse than going alone to go with your mother-in-law, but this is a serious offer.

Kaylyn said...

I know we have already determined our very opposite taste in movies, but I have to say...this movie was the biggest waste of time. I didn't like one thing about it.