Sunday, July 20, 2008

Movie Review Monday (Sunday night because I couldn't wait!)


BATMAN - The Dark Knight

Written and Directed by Christopher and Jonathan Nolan - also directed "Memento" which I highly recommend if you have not seen it. Where do I even start?

Well OK - let me start by saying that I was VERY nervous about seeing this movie. Batman Begins was great and would lead me to believe that this movie would follow in its footsteps. BUT on the other hand I have already been so disappointed in many movies this year. (Indiana Jones tops the list) I went early to this movie so I could form my own opinion and not allow anyone to effect my viewing.

IT DID NOT DISAPPOINT - Coming from me, you need to understand that this speaks very high volume!!

"You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain"


"My Card"

We will get to Heath Ledger / The Joker in just a moment!!

The thing that I LOVED about this movie is that it wasn't just trying to be the 'next big comic book movie' it also was not trying to be the '#1 summer movie' It was trying (and becoming) one of the first movies, based on a comic book, to show exactly why it is that comic books can be so great.

Great characters. Amazing Story. Drama. Love. Good vs. Evil. I am not saying that there have not been good comic book movies, because there have - but this is in a completely different category.

For the first time (EVER) I am going to contain myself and only talk about this movie with people that have seen it. I want everyone to have the wonderful experience that I did in getting all their questions answered, including "Will this be as good as it should and can be?"

The one thing I will say is that I refuse (and hope you will as well) to answer the "who is the better joker" question. These 2 actors were asked to play the same villain, but that is where the similarities end. They were asked to play them in very different ways and in very different times. Both were BRILLIANT and I was happy to find this video showing them side by side.



Please see this movie. Please talk with me in specifics when you have. Please call me anytime you would like to see it again.

Oh and By the Way - Quite possibly one of my favorite opening scenes of all time.

4 comments:

Keith and Allie said...

I've heard wonderful things from everyone who's seen it too! I didn't even want to see it but now maybe I do! Wanna watch our kids while we go? We miss you and can't wait to see you in August!

P.S. We'll call you on the drive home from the theater!

Hendricksonblog said...

Dave was slightly disappointed in me that I went to see Mamma Mia instead of Batman on saturday night. He wants to go see it again and wants me to go. I have to say I haven't laughed that hard in a movie in a long time so I would recommend that one to you. Complete simplicity but hilarious just the same. (Mike would hate it though).
Thanks for not giving away anything though.

Hendricksonblog said...

p.s.
Thanks for refusing to compare, although I havn't seen Heath yet I do know Jack is one of my all time favorite actors so I would get defensive. That clip with them together is good......

Kate said...

If and when I actually make it to a movie.... I would love to see it! I'm glad you liked it so much!