Friday, January 9, 2009

Mexi-Feast (2008)

Oops - I am a little behind on this post . . . . . . oh well. Anyway, every year Mike's family gets together for their traditional "Mexi-feast". (By the way that means we get together, eat Mexican Food, play the candy bar game, and do a pinata). I am not really sure how it started, but I know they have been doing it for quite a while. My favorite part about it is getting to see a bunch of Mike's cousins (who I quite enjoy) that we don't get to hang out with often enough.

This is Mike's Dad (Clyde) and Uncle (Lynn) hmmmmm - can you tell they are brothers??


I love this picture because Halle is known for not liking me. When I pick her up it is quickly followed by screaming and tears. She isn't smiling, but we will work on that next :)


These are pictures from the candy bar game - I didn't know what this was until I married into this family. You sit everyone in a circle and put a bunch of candy bars in the middle. Pass around 2 dice (and a bowl helps) and each person rolls. Roll a 7 or 11 and you get to take a candy bar - (doubles rolls again). You go round and round until all the candy bars are gone. BTW - when you get a candy bar you should hide it somehow because once the candy bars are gone you keep rolling for 3 minutes and if you get a 7 or 11 you can steal candy from other people. Trick is you have to know who has what candy. After 3 minutes are up, you keep the candy you have. As you can imagine, there are typically tears, but it is always a good time and part of the tradition. (Don't steal from your own family!!)

This picture is after Sam got his first candy bar. See how his mouth is kindof an "o"? He is saying "open it" -- he wanted his chocolate and had no more interest in the game. I loved it!

Here are some pictures of the annual pinata. Poor Spiderman wasn't staying attached very well and this was the result!

I had a fun night and I am excited to see all the kids grow up with this tradition!

2 comments:

Keith and Allie said...

I LOVE mexican food! Can we come next year? They just opened a Taco Bell close to us and midnight nacho runs have become all to common! Come visit soon & it'll be my treat! :)

Kate said...

We play the candy bar game in our family and it's awesome! Mexi Fest sounds so great.

(I love it when I get a cool word for my word verification.... this one is "mania", YEAH!)